A few things are certain to happen when a bunch of mom’s get together for dinner:
• A lot of lively commentaries about various school things.
• Updates on the latest outrageous acts of the mean girl at work. (Yes, they still exist.)
• Hilarious story about how someone’s husband screwed something up (i.e. used makeup remover wipes to change the baby’s diaper).
• The wine flows…and flows…and flows.
As a consequence, a few things are certain to happen after a Mom’s Night Out:
• Your kids choose that morning, of all mornings, to wake up extra early or get sick.
• Of course there’s some important meeting on the calendar that you really want to look and feel good for.
• You look and feel like crap: puffy eyes, blotchy skin and your glow is nowhere.
You may be a hater the next morning, but the truth is Mom’s Night Out is really fun and meant to include all of the above. And once everyone forgets the hangover, emails start flying around to plan the next one. The trick is to be prepared for the consequences. Here are may favorite secret weapons to look awake and ready for anything, when all I really want to do is crawl in bed with Lucy for naptime.
1. L’Oreal Double Extend Mascara, $11. This is one of my favorite mascaras, but I especially love it when I’m tired because I always rub my eyes (I know, bad habit) and this mascara doesn’t budge a bit. It’s a tube type formula, which means it encapsulates lashes with rich dark fibers that can only be removed when you wet them with warm water and gently wipe them off. The white base coat also makes lashes look fake-lash long.
2. Orlane Highlighter, $40. I call this my beauty “magic eraser.” (I’m addicted to the Mr. Clean one too.) I use it to cover up dark under eye circles, then I swipe it over my lids (which usually look red when I’m hungover) and brow bones to make my whole eye area look fresh and bright.
3. Nars Blush in Orgasm, $29. This is a classic celebrity-loved coral blush color that instantly gives you that Christian Grey-begotten glow. Not that that’s what you should be thinking about while you’re getting the kids ready for school…
4. Clarins Beauty Flash Balm, $45. Leave it to the French to create the perfect cream that instantly makes you look je-ne-sais-quoi beautiftul. It tightens and firms facial contours and infuses your skin with much needed hydration to reduce fine lines and reboot your glow.